3.27.2008

Suspended Floor

So, I started to suspend a floor plane on my building a couple of days ago to try and get a living space set up on the outside. It started out rather well, with a piece of wood suspended from the awning I had made previously. It started out innocuously enough, but then I had to grow it out a bit by exploring some new connections.

Here is where I started to use friction connections to hold my plates together. Basically, it's just a hole that's slightly less than 1/8" in diameter with a 1/8" dowel, sharpened to a point, punched through either piece of wood. The friction produced is more than enough to hold it all together, and it was even still balanced when I attached it.
When I attached the third piece using the same friction method, the whole thing went out of whack, but it was easily remedied by adding a second tensile support to each side. Now it sits right up against the building, and could be entered via windows on the fourth floor.
After I got it all together, though, I don't know if I'm completely happy with it. Compared to the awning, the floor is really bulky, and I don't know if that's where i want this side of the building to go. I know that I want the eastern side to be a little bulkier and use more compression techniques, but this side is all about being light and airy. I think this would have been more successful of I had suspended three planks and then placed smaller pieces of wood over top of them. I'll have to think about it some more before I get too gung ho and rip it out, but I think that may be the way to go right now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.