11.05.2007

I'm Trapped in a Black Box! Send Help!

We arrived in Montreal yesterday around 1:00 in the afternoon after a nice, peaceful plane ride. After wandering around the airport and trying to get a cabbie who would actually attempt to take our gigantic load of stuff, we were flying again (120 in a 70, anyone?) to our hotel. From there. we ended up wandering around Chinatown and doing a little shopping and sampling some fine Asian eateries. It was a lovely day, capped by a lovely night.

We got to Hexagram this morning to set up our stuff and show off a bit, and I finally had something new to show. This bad boy is the next iteration of my rotary switch, and it's looking pretty good.

As you can see, I changed things around just a bit. The whole thing is clear so that it can be uplit and projected onto a screen in the black box. So far, I've been able to decide how I want the pistons to activate the switches, and where I want my creation to in the space, but I still have some questions, like what the hell is this thing going to do exactly? I had a talk with Xin Wei and Patrick, along with a few others in the Black Box, and one thing we came to agree on was that I should use not only digital outputs, but analog outputs as well, since the whole input system is analog to analog.

I plan on putting the machine underneath the floor, which might sound a little odd, but it does make sense in regards to my research material. The idea is that the silhouette will be projected from the floor to a screen on the ceiling, and the machine itself will be obstructed. In the history of Ether, and the radio, too, there has never been a natural way to intercept the signals floating through the air. You can't see it, smell it, taste touch, or feel it, you can only ever decode it through an external medium like a radio or television. My project works the same way. You can see the effects of the radio by listening to the sound, or watching the silhouette projected on the wall, but you never see the machine itself, unless its through an artificial medium.

Tomorrow should be interesting, as I'll be mounting my monster under the floor and setting up the screens. I imagine the logistics will be very interesting indeed...

1 comment:

Marnie Gartrell said...

just wanted to let you know that your pictures turned out great!!