10.11.2007

Radio Light Show

Yeah, I know that makes no sense, but I don't care.

Today I was completely stuck, as you can see in the previous post, and I was basically just screwing around and trying to make my two machines interact with each other in some kind of crazy way. I decided to take one of the motors from my remote control car and hook it up where my speakers were supposed to be on the radio. To my surprise, I actually got a reaction, just not the one I had hoped for. The motor wouldn't turn with the music coming from the radio, but it would vibrate, which held some promise.

The next step was to hook up some LEDs and give that a shot. A single LED pulsed along with the music and looked pretty cool, so I constructed a small rail and soldered 5 LEDs to it, and then hooked the whole thing up. It was a truly serendipitous moment, because just as I started up the radio, Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" started to play, and the lights pulsed along to the unmistakable guitar riff at the start.

Fuckin' Awesome.



This is the very start of my new monster. Tomorrow I'm off for some 555 timers and I'm going to try and figure out how to control my monster's movement using radio waves. Could turn out to be very interesting indeed...

No comments: