10.15.2007

Bionic Monster

I feel like I haven't been posting enough, but I have been working. I'm just forgetful, that's all. I've been working on my radios and playing with the lights, but I had another idea that I'm somewhat excited about, but I'll get to that later.

After my little LED rail experiment, I set out to create a more pleasing looking array of LEDs, and perhaps in different colours.
These two beauties are my rings of LED lights that I was going to attach to my speakers. The LEDs' positive sides are all connected to the outer rings, and the negative sides, connected to the inner rings. They work quite nicely as I intended them to, but after I tested them out, I had a brainstorm because of my own childishness.

After I finished, I decided it would be funny to put the rings in my eyes, because they fit rather perfectly. This is when the brainstorm started, and I set about creating some light up goggles to wear around like an idiot.

As you can see, mission accomplished. This got me thinking, though. What if I became the monster instead of creating a brand new one? It's come to my attention through my various bits of research that although we've been theorizing about the ether for thousands of years, there's still no way to actually sense it... But why not? What if I could create some piece of clothing, or something of that nature to respond to changes in the ether. I came up with the idea of the clothing a long time after the glasses (at about 1:00 am, at which point I came into studio for the night) and I decided I should probably whip up some kind of sketch.

So, here it is, and as you can see it's basically a hat and a coat on the outside. The inside, however, is laden with LEDs, muscle wire, and unbalanced motors inside. The hat would contain three radios, and later on, a micro controller, to control everything inside the coat. The experience would then turn your experience with the ether into one that wasn't strictly aural, but haptic as well. I can imagine walking around at night while LEDs flash under your hat and light pulses out of your sleeves and the bottom of your coat, all induced by radio waves as you walk around. Sounds like fun, no?

No comments: