1.27.2008

Subversion Center

So, I have my site.... I think. This lovely building is on the corner of Annabell and Higgins, and it's a nifty little place to be sure. It has eight stories, 9000 sq.ft/floor plate, a high load capacity, and two freight elevators. How do I know this? It says so on the sign outside the building, and for the low, low price of 175 dollars, I could rent a floor inside of it!
I was thinking that what I wanted to do was retrofit a certain building within the city to run on green power alone, and take it completely off the grid. Once this was accomplished, I could use the space to disseminate the information on how I managed such a feat to everyone who wanted to help me out. The idea would be something like a central research laboratory, where I would develop the essential means of gathering energy for free. Once I got everything up and running, I could have an info session with interested parties and show them how to do the same thing with their homes and businesses, in order to get them off of the grid.

This way, everyone could have free, or extremely cheap, electricity and heat in their homes or businesses. Instead of being parasitic to the building, it would be more symbiotic. I'd have to study the building and come up with solutions to heat it using nothing but what the building already has, like sunlight, heat mass, and airflow.

I think that's how I want to approach the project at this point. I don't know the strategies I will necessarily be using, because I haven't found out exactly what I need to know about the building, but if I build a model and study lighting and heating patterns, I could adapt the building to its surroundings and hopefully make it self-sustaining.
It's also right beside a railway line, so I could use that somehow, I'm sure. Maybe I could order in specific parts and have them delivered or something like that, or if the things I need to make electricity are too heavy to come by truck, they could come by train instead. I don't know if that's necessary, but it's an angle I'll most likely need to consider.

No comments: