4.04.2008

Something's Gotta Give

Current stress level: 1.9 Ks (KiloShannons)

Something is terribly wrong here. I don't know what's going on, but nothing seems to be turning out the way I expected, and it's taking ten times as long as it should to turn out badly.

First thing's first, Andy's apartment, which I made a nice drawing of to figure out where all of my framing was going to end up. This thing looks awful. I think that it looks pretty cool in drawing form, but somewhere I've gone wrong and it's not turning into the pretty thing I thought it was going to be. And by pretty, I of course mean industrial and haphazard. It just looks bad right now.

I think part of it is my technique. I had resigned to the restriction that I wasn't going to use any glue to put this thing together, which worked out fine for my roof and floor structure, but when I started to try and maneuver a drill around there to try and put up walls and studs, things got out of hand. First of all, the floor and ceiling took me three or four times as long as they should have. Second, they're just as representative as they would have been if I would have used glue, which might have saved me some time. Third, they're not rigid enough to accurately measure things. I'm constantly cutting things and then realizing that what I just cut was out just a touch because I was pushing the floor down a little when I did it, or I had the piece a little bit slanted.

I think I have to abandon my current method of working, and find a better way, because this project can't happen unless I get my shit together and make it work. Friction connections take for-bloody-ever, and they look awful. Plus, no one in their right mind would ever take a six inch piece of pine and sharpen the end so that they could pound it through two other pieces of wood in order to make a friction connection. It's an apartment, not a 1600's log cabin. I'm switching from the friction connections to glue. I know that's not what I originally said I was going to do, but that's what has to be done. Glue is no more representational than friction connections, and it's way faster.

What I'm going to start doing is making AutoCAD drawings of my spaces and laying out the studs and sheets of plywood, and then I'll build the walls on a desk so that I don't have to worry about wobbly or weird things happening. I will then attach said frames to the building and then glue the plywood sheets over top. Then I will dance. Poorly.

I think the closeness of this deadline just hit me, and I need to get my ass in gear.

3 comments:

Shannon Leah Small said...

I personally love your unit of measurement...good choice :)

Shannon Leah Small said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm after a book introducing me to the inner workings of Forex trading. I've taken a quick look at a few books, but they all appear to be written by people that make a living from Forex trading, rather than writing about how to do it & providing seminars? When you Google or Wikipedia the authors, you don't seem to find a lot of information about them, other than they have written a book!
[url=http://forexrobot-review.info]best forex software[/url] [url=http://persianartcenter.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=175&p=1090#p1090]unlock iphone[/url]